Managing Director, Algonquin Arts Theatre
At Algonquin Arts Theatre (AAT), we are a mission-driven organization. For 20 years, we have enriched life at the Jersey Shore by providing high quality, affordable performing arts and educational programming to all audiences. We have succeeded in establishing our 543 seat Algonquin Arts Theatre as a cultural center and creative hub of entertainment, education, and community involvement that extends to our schools, senior centers, and area businesses. AAT generates an estimated $2.3 million annually into the Shore economy. The annual budget for the 2014-2015 season is approximately $1.9M.
The Campaign for Algonquin Arts Theatre, a capacity building comprehensive campaign, continues to build upon AAT's history and success. This ongoing campaign will ensure we secure the resources we need to continue to improve our facility, increase our annual operating budget, complete payment of the theatre complex mortgage and create an endowment to meet future theatre and community needs.
Algonquin Arts Theatre Season Overview:
AAT typically produces 6 to 8 productions per year in our Broadway Series, employing professional actors, directors, designers and musicians who collaborate with local performers and craftsmen. AAT also presents approximately 20 concerts and 13 morning education shows in our Concert and Education Series. A thriving Performing Arts Academy serves approximately 350 students annually in afterschool and summertime programs. Community Outreach programs along with active rentals of the theatre round out our activities. Additionally, AAT holds two major fundraisers a year: a food and wine tasting in the Fall and our annual Gala in the Spring.
The Algonquin Arts Theatre's Board of Directors seeks to employ a full time Managing Director with a zeal for contributing to the creative revitalization of the diverse community that is the Jersey Shore. Experience in financial management is required, as is a desire to work alongside community leaders in an effort to bring about positive change in the lives of Monmouth and Ocean County residents. The Managing Director will work alongside the Artistic Director and report to the Board, is responsible for facilitating and co- managing the company's programs in a way that is consistent with its mission and strategic plan. The selected candidate will have demonstrated that s/he can provide self-initiated management leadership to advance the theatre as a sound artistic and business entity.
1. Financial Management - Oversee the development of the annual budget and long-term budget goals in collaboration with the Board Finance Committee, Artistic Director and Finance Director; ensure accurate and timely tracking and monitoring of income and expenses; develop and implement effective cost controls and provide hands-on comptrollership. Work with the Artistic Director, Marketing Director and Board Finance Committee to develop and implement ticket pricing policies, develop and/or expand earned income opportunities.
2. Fundraising - Alongside the Senior Director of Development, oversee, manage and implement all fundraising including funder prospect research, grant writing, grants management, donor cultivation and stewardship, develop and implement the annual plan for individual, foundation, government and corporate contributions; foster effective donor relations; and maintain the donor database. Assume oversight of the ongoing comprehensive campaign for the theatre that to date has raised enough capital to replace all 543 seats.
3. Administrative Management - Manage the Development, Marketing, Finance and Operations Directors. Maintain effective communication with Board members, volunteers, partners and the community.
4. Marketing and Public Relations - Work with the Marketing Director, Artistic Director and Board in creating and implementing the annual marketing plan to increase ticket sales and promote the positive image of Algonquin Arts Theatre programs utilizing traditional and new
media marketing strategies.
5. Production Management - In collaboration with the Artistic Director, assist in providing accurate budget estimates, schedules. Assist with implementation of the approved programs; with negotiating and issuing contracts for artists, production staff and partner organizations. Act as business manager for all productions.
B.A. degree in arts, arts management, business management, or related field.
3-5 years in a management position within a non-profit performing arts organization (demonstrable related experience may be considered).
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- A non-profit arts management/leadership position, with demonstrated experience in fund-raising, grant writing and marketing;
- Strong budgeting and financial management skills;
- Creative, strategic thinking with proficient organizational skills and a proven ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities;
- Ability to work well with non-profit organization board members, artistic professionals, business, political, education, service organization and community leaders;
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate staff and volunteers to accomplish a variety of administrative and program support tasks.
- Track record of successful fundraising with working knowledge of software Donor Perfect.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrable in the preparation (with the help of Finance Director) of programmatic and financial reports to the Board and the Artistic Director.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal leadership, a strong work ethic, stamina and passion.
COMPENSATION: 50K base salary plus benefits package; paid vacation following first year of employment.
Availability and hours: General office hours are Monday through Friday, with nights and weekend hours necessary when the company is in production.
Start date: January 2015.
All interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to:
Managing Director Search Team
Algonquin Arts Theatre
Via email: email@example.com. Please put MD Search Team in the subject line.
RESUMES ARE ACCEPTED UNTIL DEC. 8, 2014