The Wizard of Oz - Audition
Saturday, June 8 – By appointment only starting at 10:00 a.m.
Note: The role of Dorothy and Glinda has been cast, as of April 21.
Email email@example.com or call Julie at 732-528-9224 to schedule audition time.
Saturday, June 8 – 3 p.m. (Students 18 yrs. and younger)
Saturday, June 8 auditions and call-back will be at the Woman's Club, 62 Main Street in Manasquan.
Auditioners are asked to prepare 16 bars of music, and be prepared to dance. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring sheet music in the correct key.
- If you are interested in being considered for a specific role, we would advise you to review and prepare the music / scenes that are below for these specific character(s).
- Scene A: Dorothy, Ms. Gultch, Uncle Henry, Aunt Em – Download PDF
- Scene B: Professor Marvel, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene C: Wicked Witch, Lion, Scarecrow, General, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene D: Wicked Witch, Glinda, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene E: Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion, Glinda – Download PDF
- Scene F: Wicked Witch, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene G: Guard, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion – Download PDF
- Scene H: Lion, Tinman, Scarecrow, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene I: Oz, Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion – Download PDF
- Scene J: Scarecrow, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene K: Zeke, Hunk, Hickory, Aunt Em, Dorothy – Download PDF
- Scene L: Tinman, Scarecrow, Dorothy – Download PDF
The Wizard of Oz is produced by Algonquin Arts Theatre and directed by Cynthia Mitchell Payne.
All roles except Dorothy and Glinda are available.
Principle roles to be played by adults, with the exception of Dorothy.
- Dorothy Gale, auditioning 11-19 yrs, to appear age 13. Alto (Range: G to C). A young, orphan girl. A Kansas farm girl, vulnerable, innocent, but strong-willed. Loves her dog, Toto. Must be prepared to sing the final 16 bars of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".
- Zeke / Cowardly Lion: Approx. age 20-45. Baritone/Tenor (Range B flat to F). Farmhand and friend of Dorothy in Kansas / Cowardly Lion in Oz. A bombastic, tenderhearted creature.
- Hickory / Tinman: Approx. age 20-45. Baritone/Tenor (Range B flat to G). Farmhand and friend of Dorothy in Kansas / Tinman in Oz. Kindhearted and gentle.
- Hunk / Scarecrow: Approx. age 20-45. Baritone/Tenor (Range B flat to F sharp). Farmhand and best friend to Dorothy / Scarecrow in Oz. Practical, level headed, watches over Dorothy protectively.
- Auntie Em: Approx. age 40-70. Dorothy's Aunt. Hard working, sturdy, level headed. A farmer's wife. Non-singing role.
- Uncle Henry: Approx. age 40-70. Dorothy's Uncle. Hard working Kansas farmer. Level headed, stern, practical. Non-singing role.
- Glinda, Good Witch of the North: Soprano (Range G to C). Should have high, fairy-like voice. Beautiful, protector of Munchkinland.
- Professor Marvel / Wizard of Oz / Guard of Oz: Guard of Oz: Approx. age 40-70. Range B flat to E flat. Friendly snake oil salesman (Professor Marvel), Powerful Wizard of Oz, and Guard at gate of Oz. Must have an acrobatic voice and be able to create characters. Improvisation a plus. Sings "Merry Ole Land of Oz".
- Wicked Witch of the West / Miss Gultch: Approx. age 30-60. Evil witch. Must have incredible speaking voice and sound like the foreboding evil witch of Oz. Should be theatrical and melodramatic. Non-singing role.
- Toto: A small terrier dog, any color. The love of Dorothy's life. Must be able to run onto stage on cue. Must tolerate being held by actress playing Dorothy. Speaking, sitting, or other tricks on command are a plus.
The following ensemble roles are appropriate for children under the age of 18yrs. Actors may be cast in multiple roles. All students who are cast in this production will be enrolled in the Algonquin Youth Ensemble (AYE): A Musical Theatre Summer Intensive program. AYE is a tuition-based program. Scholarship applications are available.
- Farmhands: Folks who work on the Gale's farm in Kansas.
- The Ozians: People who live in the Emerald City.
- Beauticians: Make over Dorothy after her travels to Oz.
- Polishers: Clean up the Tin Man after his travels to Oz.
- Manicurists: Clean up the Lion after his travels to Oz.
- Winkies: Guards of the Witch's castle.
- Winkie General: Leader of the Winkies.
- Nikko: Monkey Leader. Wicked Witch's right hand simian.
- Winged Monkeys: Minions of the Wicked Witch.
- Munchkins: Must be able to appear ages 6 to 13. Citizens of Munchkin land.
- The following Munchkins with speaking or solo lines will be cast from the chorus of Munchkins:
- The Lullaby League
- The Lollipop League
- City Fathers
- Trees: In Tin Man Scene. They are not happy when Dorothy picks their apples. Must be able to harmonize in. Must have an ability dance. Some of the Trees are speaking roles.
- Optimistic Voices: Glinda's helpers. Girls who can harmonize.
- Witches Fireballs: 3 girls, strong jazz and/or ballet skills, ability to dance en pointe a plus.
- Dance Ensemble: Dance / Ballet roles (Pointe ability preferable). Will appear as: Munchkins including The Lullaby League, the Witch's Flying Monkeys, the Poppies and Dancers of Oz.
- Singing Ensemble: Strong singers needed as featured choral singers.
For further questions, feel free to contact Julie Nagy, Director of Arts Education.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-528-9224.
Friday, August 2 • 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 3 • 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, August 4 • 3 p.m.
Thursday, August 8 • 2 p.m.
Friday, August 9 • 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 10 • 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, August 11 • 3 p.m.
The Shore Senior Idol competition is a fun, motivational experience for today's active adults. Many participants have never performed before a live audience. Shore Senior Idol participants must be at least 55 years old.
Criteria: Contestants should prepare a vocal selection that best demonstrates their VOCAL ability.
Eligibility: Participants must be at least 55 years of age by January 1, 2013.
Entry Fee: Contestants will pay an entry fee of $5.
Prizes: 1st Place/ SHORE SENIOR IDOL : $500
2nd Place : $350
3rd Place : $150
Call Gina Lupi at (732) 778-4591 to register or with any questions.
Click here to view complete rules & regulations.
Audition Dates & Locations
Monday, May 20 - 2-4 pm
3000 Essex Road
Tinton Falls, N.J. 07753
Wednesday, May 29 - 2-4 p.m.
Algonquin Arts Theatre
173 Main Street
Manasquan, N.J. 08736
Wednesday, June 5 - 2-4 p.m.
Toms River Senior Center
652 Garfield Ave
Toms River, NJ 0875
Shore Senior Idol 2013 Performance
Date: Sunday, June 30
Time: 3 p.m.
Algonquin Arts Theatre
173 Main Street
Manasquan, N.J. 08736